10.02.2013

VENICE- THE VENINI GLASS EXHIBIT





VENISE: L'EXPO DE LA VERRERIE VENINI

View of Venice from the island of San Georgio

The 4 days we spent in Venice were pure heaven. The weather cooperated and the trip was made even more exceptional through the priceless help of very very dear friends who, having lived in Venice for 3 years, were our "Venetian guides" with the pre-travel insider info and advice anyone going to Venice must have. 
The boat ride from the airport to the Gran Canal alone will be forever engraved in my memory!
 One morning we crossed the lagoon and went to San Georgio Island to see a breathtaking exhibit of the work - 1925 to 1931- of glass blower Napoleone Martinuzzi for the Venetian glassware company Venini.
 The colors are spectacular and the artistry is unequaled. To say nothing of the humour in certain pieces; animals with minimalist lines

 and vegetables with a definite 30's feel.

We did go to Murano and we saw the glass makers finishing leaves that were destined for a huge chandelier. The shop at that company had some extraordinary pieces, not all to my liking...yet, as we were accompanied by a wonderful true Venetian, noone pressured us to buy. A relief!

I will share some of our other finds in a few days... and there were plenty!

au revoir.


2 comments:

  1. I am so very happy for you. Venice is, by far, my favorite city in the world. It is beautiful and it is soulful.

    I hope you will tell us more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, Thanks for sharing this. It made my day Venice is my most loved city.
    Been there 3 times and at 76 I would go again if I could. yvonne

    ReplyDelete