7.09.2010

SLIPPERs INSIDE AND OUT


LES PETITS CHAUSSONS...

EVERYONE has gone crazy for these...
originally, thanks to her...
a zillion copies have been made...
...including the couture designers like:
and:

and Lanvin etc.
and the high end brand names
Chinese Laundry
Bendel's


If I am mentioning ballet slippers, it is as an introduction to my post on...well, 

slippers.
 Of the worn-at-home category.
In our family the rule is: no shoes in the house, and as far I can remember I tried to keep to that rule; first it was to "save" the white carpeting in my first apartment, then it was to "save" the floors from the junk that inevitably sticks to your soles like the odd gravel and dirt that wreaks havoc on wood floors. And now I realize how right the Moroccans are: if you come into your house with your shoes on, can you imagine what amount of germs and stuff you drag into your house? In North Africa they wear slip on shoes called babouches 

which they easily take off at home and then they wear "interior" shoes or go barefoot. 
The real reason I love to wear slippers at home is that I CAN'T WAIT to take my shoes off when I get home after a day running around. (as a matter of fact, my mud room is being renovated as I write to better accommodate everyone's various shoes- and some bags and scarves etc.)
I'll start with "oriental" slippers first
Morocco
Handmade raffia slippers. Only a few artisans still make these in Tangier

China

India


Turkey

Scandinavian felt 

High technology material for a comfortable airplane ride


Clever "Origami" DYI fold-your-own kit




Hand knit

Scottish aristocracy

Presidential
President Francois Mitterand's velvet slippers at auction at Tajan, Paris.

images jasminway, french bsketeers, globales-sein, magellan, fashion rat, lovelyish, etsy, lacorbeille

au revoir.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda10/7/10

    What a lovely collection of slippers. We too have a no shoes in the house rule, and change into slippers when we got home. I especially like the oriental slippers

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thorough post about ballerinas and slippers! My choice of these would be the ones by Lanvin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those....A classic slipper for every time of day elegant looking and comfortable yet classic. lovely presentation THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh fabulous pictures!! and of course my closet has its share of these...but none so lovely!!

    bisous!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete