5.06.2010

HELP: BEDSIDE TABLES


I am regularly approached for "a word" of design advice. What would YOU do in this and that case?
This is not a rare occurrence and as flattering as it is to be asked, giving advice for a space you usually have not seen is not exactly like driving blindfolded but it does feel a little like driving without a rear view mirror; not really impossible, but pas très comfortable. 









Hence, my column: 
au secours! 

I will post  general advice in answer to non site-specific questions I have been asked. You may participate, of course. That would be so much fun. Just keep it relatively general, if you could. 

LES TABLES DE CHEVET
MARIANNE: I want to change the bedside tables in my bedroom; any suggestions?

I find that for bedside tables, I like the height of the table to be at the same height as the mattress or at most 2 inches (~6cm) higher. The taller the lamp the less there is a need for a high table.
The size of the top should be generous; don't forget you may have to fit a number of things: a telephone, a clock, a lamp, a few books, reading glasses...and a glass of water and even a small vase of flowers. I would try to choose a top  that is 18" X 18" (~ 50cm X 50cm) at least.
A few other tips: 
A table with at least one drawer and/or a shelf is best; This one is everything a table should be: 2 shelves, and 2 dawers. It's on the tall side however.

A small bureau will be very convenient when the time comes to put away this and that, (stuff never fails to accumulate, right?)

A bedside that can be used as a desk is also great, if you have the room. (I moved a door in my bedroom so I could fit 2 bedside table more comfortably!)
You don't have to have matching tables, but if you use matching lamps, they should be the same height.
If you like the idea of symmetry, that's fine also.

A bedside does not have to be just functional. It can in fact be a big part of the decorative theme of the room.

If you are a minimalist at heart or have a lot of space to spread out or don't need to "put away things", a plain table might just do the trick.

As for style, it is of course evident that the style of your bedroom will dictate your choice; but remember you can always have fun and rock the boat a little...




...or not.
images cote sud, cote maison, bhg.com, lushlee, theregencyfurniture, pb teen, apartment therapy, keepingitrealtor, graham green, domino, hgtv

au revoir.



2 comments:

  1. I have fallen in love lately with the simple white ones studded with nailheads...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great examples!!!!! I love the ones with shellves or enough room to "Hide stuff".You covered the subject well with all price points and looks. I also like the skirted ones with the hidden shelves underneath......Maryanne xo

    ReplyDelete