10.15.2010

HELP: RAILINGS







I am regularly approached for "a word" of design advice. What would YOU do in this and that case?
This is not a rare occurrence and as flattering as it is to be asked, giving advice for a space you usually have not seen is at best tricky.
Hence, this column: 
I will post  general advice in answer to non site-specific questions I have been asked. 
You may participate, of course. 
That would be so much fun. 
Just keep it relatively general, if you could. 



LES RAMPES

Melanie: I need to add a railing to my new stairs. I am debating between geometric and curlicue. I don't want too classic and I don't want too crazy. Any suggestions?

There are many possibilities which will fit the bill. I suggest keeping the design simple, even in the case of curlicues. You may also want to avoid  historically faithful reproductions if you wish to keep your space style-neutral. I would leave the Louis XV to very old houses and chateaux. There are many other ways to stay a little classic and have a little fun. You may even want to mix some straight lines with some wavy ones, as is the case in Provence very often.



The geometrics

The curlicues

Modern curlywurly. Fun for a modern space.

The typical Provencal style, with both straight and curved bars




If you have a topic you may want me to analyze or any design question you would like answered, let me know at un petit commentaire below. It would be so much fun for me to put my 2 cents in. 

au revoir.









2 comments:

  1. Jeanne-aelia,

    I love the very simple curl and curve on the stucco/plaster walls beautiful!

    I have a Luxurious New Giveaway on my site....Come and enter!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always love the straight-with-curved railings in Provence...the rest of these are gorgeous too, great images, terrible choice! You have made it much easier!

    bisous

    Kit

    ReplyDelete